Tuesday, September 26, 2006

boon's log 3906.02: Malaysian Manners Part 2

Since I was in quite a boring meeting this morning, I took some time to draw another incident where IL and I encountered with regards to the ultimate Malaysian manners.

I just saw another ad on the tele last night - it's the one about that kiddo bouncing his football on his grandmother and a "nyonya" sitting next to granny. Mom made him apologize, but Granny said it was okay, saying "He'll grow up later and understand that he was wrong...". But Mom insisted that this is the time to learn and made the kiddo apologize. And the text came out at the end...

"Budi Bahasa, Budaya Kita"

... translated to be something like "Make Coutesy our way of Life"

Anyway, back to my new found hobby (only during boring meetings), cartoon...

Case 3: At the Lift (Part 2)
IL and I were on our way back to our condo, taking the lift (or elevator).


[click on image for larger view]

(1)
So we entered the lift through the carpark floor. (Notice the distance before entering the lift)

(2)
We were happily "riding" the lift.

(3)
Upon reaching our designated floor, we walked nearer to the lift doors and waiting to alight the lift. When the door opened, 3 doofus stood just in front of the elevator doors (A), (E) and (B), while (A) and (B) rushed into the lift disregarding the people who need to exit the lift!

Darn it!

We had to wait for these two clowns (A) and (B) to get into the lift before we can negotiate our way AROUND (E) who just stood there in the middle of the doorway, not budging an inch!

Well, as the Chinese say, "Buddha also got fire" (translated to patience has its limits), I intentionally allowed my bag to bump into (E) and I grunted as I exit-ed the elevator. And guess what I received in return? A "stare" from (E)!!! Err, excuse me?!

[(3a) gives a sideway view of position the doofus-es]

What's the rush? Do they really miss out a lot by allowing people to get out of lift first?! A classic case of Kiasu-ism here...

IL and I were discussing further and said that we should stand directly infront of the door when we want to exit from the lift next time and see what happens!



A couple of things can happen:
(a) it is a lady on the other side of the door and I get a free "kiss" - ha ha
(b) some gangster-looking fellow and I will potentially be knocked over...
(c) some old ahpek or ahchim and I will probably knock them over...

boon out...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! Seems that we need proper education from young. Hence, it should be MANDATORY for all schools to have elevators (with staircase just for fire/emergency exits) so that students can "adapt" to the right etiquette.

Tuesday 26 September 2006 at 15:14:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha, like a Elevator101 or something like that, yes?

Friday 29 September 2006 at 00:17:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. That's right. "Elevator101" or "Elevator Etiquette (EE) for Dummies" wud be cool.

Wednesday 4 October 2006 at 01:12:00 GMT-7  
Blogger ccpling said...

I experienced similar incidents. Last 2 months, I was on a business trip in KL. I took monorail to meet a friend, thinking that I could get a seat due to my obvious pregnancy. Unfortunately, the 2 ladies in front of me just ignored me. I actually sweated after 15 min "sitting" on the rail at the window. The 2nd incident was I & hubby were lining up for a "wheel a chance" contest in carefour last few weeks. 2 kids just squeezed in front of us. One kid was awared of his mistake after we told him to line up at the back, but another kid just ignored our comment. Even his dad said " only one card, let him play...!"

Sunday 8 October 2006 at 05:01:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Anonymous(1) / Alex / Anonymous (2):
Schools with elevators? Sounds cool, but what about those with only one floor? :P But the Elevator101 or the Elevator Etiquette for Dummies sounds good. ha ha

ccpling: Congratulations on your pregnancy! My wife's pregnant too! i thought monorails should have special seats for the elderly, the handicapped or pregnant ladies? Seems like people just don't care, huh? As for the kids - I would have release a loud "Woi, teach your kid some manners and line up!"

Monday 9 October 2006 at 21:53:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inilah Budaya Kita ! :)
Look around you, everywhere is the same..."everyone only clean the snow at own door front"....everyone works based on return of investment...

Monday 16 October 2006 at 07:17:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Blackhawk: Dude! How true... And when other people do unto them what they did, they get angry and start to scold people - which kinda reminds me of that Petronas advertisement, click on the below link if you have not seen it...

http://202.71.107.161/petronas/bm/index.asp

Sunday 29 October 2006 at 17:28:00 GMT-8  

Post a Comment

<< Home