Monday, September 25, 2006

boon's log 3906.01: Malaysian Manners

What's with Malaysian's Manners these days? I guess I see the point why there has been a great influx of ads on the tele and the radio about being courteous and all. I have to say that I am really disappointed with the way some of our locals carry themselves these days.

Just today alone, during lunch hour with IL, we've encountered 2 cases of very "ugly manners".

Case 1: At the Lift
Most of you all know that IL is pregnant and trust me, at ~7 months, her tummy is really showing and no one would have mistaken that for beer belly... unless if that person is a real doofus.

I've took some time to provide a little bit of graphic-aid to help explain the situation...


[click on image for larger view]

(1)
So, we were waiting at the lift (or elevator) at Sunshine Square to get down to McDonald's for lunch.

(2)
there were 3 other people later surrounded us while we were waiting (B) and (E) were ladies, while (A) was a guy.

(3) when the lift doors opened, (E) and (B) squeezed and negotiated their way from the left and entered the elevator while (A) later squeezed in from the right as I was allowing IL to enter first (!!!). We figured that (A), (B) and (E) were friends and that (A) was trying to be together with the ladies! What a goof! And for goodness sake, we are talking about a pregnant woman here! Hello?!

IL of course let them go in first, noticing their retarded-ness. I then intentionally mentioned in the lift whether they will cut us from the left and right upon exiting the left (!!!) - since were the last to enter the lift, we were nearer to the door.

Case 2: At the Ketchup Station
So, we were at McDonald's. As usual, IL went to look for a place to sit while I did the ordering. Upon delivering the food, I went to get some ketchup at the Ketchup Station.


[click on image for larger view]

(1)
there were 2 persons infront of me (A) and (B). Now, (A) filled up 5 of the little cuplets with ketchup / chilli. He managed to acrobatically carry the 5 cuplets back to the table.

(2)
Then it was (B)'s turn, who only took 2 cuplets.

(3)
When (B) left, I "thought" it was my turn - or so I thought... From no where, (A) came flying back into the line and conveniently took 2 more cuplets of chilli sauce and left... (D) and I watched in amazement!!! We could have caused a scene right there, but we did not want to...

I think I know what (A) was thinking... while he was happily pumping the sauces, my mind raced forward to a what-if scenario...

Me: "Excuse me Mister, I believe there is a line..."
(A): "Yeah, but I was here just now and was taking some ketchup (or chili). And I did not have enough hands to go around taking all the ketchup (or chili) that I need."
Me: "Oh yeah? I was here 1 week ago and I was in front of you and I did not manage to take enough ketchup for myself too. So why don't you make like a tree and leave, bozo!"

Gosh... a double-dose of poor mannered people is really terrifying. And mind you, these are not little kids that we are talking about - they are well-dressed white-collared executives!

Really need to ask God for patience and also really open their eyes to see how horrible their manners are and how it would reflect the nations's mentality - I believe this sort of attitude affects not only Penang, but nation wide!

boon out...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh...these scenes are darn familiar. Once I was at McD in Shanghai. Guess what? I almost never ever get my food. Those a@@ho!e "China-man-tongsan" didn't care what they do. Their main intention is just to be ahead of others (be the first). Seems that they adopted the Nike tagword "Just Do It" & "who cares about the rest of the mother-f#@ker around us" pretty well!!! God may not be able to do much actually. The good should have been happily staying in Heaven or have achieved Nirwana. Only the bad are in left on earth (and that includes me, you, and the rest). Sigh.....

Monday 25 September 2006 at 12:00:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess we are a far cry away from having good manners and attitude. Just the other day, I was at Subway and upon finishing my sub, I picked up my tray (with the emptied drink and sub-wrapper)and walked to the bin and emptied the tray into the bin and placed the tray on top of the "counter". And as I was walking towards the bin with my tray, I got funny stares and smirks from people around, like I am doing something wrong!

Monday 25 September 2006 at 17:54:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, don't worry. What you did was absolutely polite. You don't have to look at others looking at you for something you did. Maybe those folks were triggered by your good intention. Keep it up gal...

Tuesday 26 September 2006 at 14:28:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Anonymous (1): I hate to say it but seems like the kiasu-ism mentality is everywhere - so I guess it's not only our Singaporean friends who are deemed as Kiasu...

Jen: Agree with Anonymous (2) - you keep it up, girl. It's about time we get some good role model around here! Let's just hope that it's setting up a new trend.

But I guess our culture may not be up to it yet also - I tried the same thing at the McDonald's at Green Lane, but the McDonald's Cleaning Aunty insisted that she retrieved the tray and disposed my rubbish for me instead of letting me do it... perhaps she's afraid that her Manager would misinterpret that as she being lazy and not doing her job... Oh well...

Monday 9 October 2006 at 22:01:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home