Monday, May 11, 2009

boon's log 2009.01: Randoms - Free Gas, Ab's dim sum again, and "amazing" Perak

IL and I were out lunching with our colleagues last week (think it was Tuesday), but the moment we climbed into the car, the "gas indicator light" toggled indicating that we needed gas. But EY suggested that we gas up after we makan. So we met up with the rest of the folks at McD SunShine Square for their lunch promotion.

So, after filing up our stomachs, it was time to fill up the car's "tummy". The nearest option was the Shell down the road. Abandoning the remaining 5 in the car, I went over to the pump. I was about to stick the Bonuslink card into pump register, when I noticed, to my surprise, the LCD screen showing "Lift nozzle and start filling" - I was expecting something like "Insert Bonuslink card or Credit Card". Stunned me for a little bit as I looked around for Candid Camera or You've been Punk'd crews around! I turned to EY who was also shocked. I lifted the pump and shoved it in and started filling (as indicated by the LCD screen). And it was working! At that point of time, being the Asian as I am, I scolded myself for not lifting the V-Power but the normal unleaded instead. But just before that thought left my head, the pump stopped and the digital screen showed 30.00 - it was then I was thankful that I did not lifted that V-Power pump in the first place - ;).

Went back into the car and EY went, "Act normal and let's get out of here!" Haha! The person at the register must have mistakenly keyed in RM30 to that pump and forgotten cancel the transaction. Well, it is not everyday that you can get free gas, right?

So, look at the LCD screen FIRST, the next time you are at the gas station before you stick in your credit card.

Oh, and we (kinda) bumped into Mithz while driving back to work - he was enjoying his sweet juicy papaya at fruit stall by the FTZ guard post.

***

My parents returned from their S. Africa trip on Thursday and were staying over the weekend in Penang. And as usual, it's dim sum for breakie when the grandparents meet grandchild. So, it's Northam Suites for dimsum last weekend. They serve up a pretty nice spread and delicious dim sum. Plus, with a Citibank (or HSBC) credit card, you get a 50% discount off. It was a nice time catching up with my parents on the happenings in Ipoh and also about their trip. Sounded like they really had a good time.


Dim Sum at Northam Suites, Penang


Ab enjoying her egg tart at Northam Suites, Penang

***

By now most of you must have heard about the High Court's ruling that Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin is the legitimate chief minister (menteri besar) or Perak. It is truly refreshing news indeed, especially after what happened in the State Assembly last Thursday - an incident that was reported in many international media/press - imagine, a Malaysian state's assembly making its way into the international media. It is truly "amazing" and somewhat embarassing at the same time.

But the question that still rings in my mind is that we needed to go all the way to the High Court to fully comprehend the Monarch's powers? We need to have a high court judge to clarify what the ruler's real powers are? Did someone also mention that he was Lord President before (1982-1984, according to Wikipedia)? Well, we may never get the answers to these questions, if you know what i mean.

Well, an interesting turn of events indeed. Oh, and SO coincidentally, the Ruler is not in the country, and Mr Nizar will only meet up with the Prince tomorrow. So, looks like there ARE still some signs of democracy in this country and that the judiciary can still be depended on. Let's hope that what happened in the last 3 months will be learnings for our leaders and not to be soon repeated (if not at all). I guess the policital saga in Perak is far from over, but with this ruling, it truly does turn the tables for the National Front.

boon out...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home