Wednesday, September 10, 2003

boon's log 3703.04
Driving Range

Went for a few swings at the Bukit Jambul Country Club Driving Range last weekend. It was a good work out and a truly great experience. Yeah, that was the first time I've ever played the game. The furthest I ever made was 150m with an iron (not the steaming ones, smart alec! :) ). Anyway, only had like 3 out of 150 balls that made it to the 150m mark. the rest were either 100m or below... BJCC is charging RM12.60 for every 150 balls... that amounts up to USD$3.35 for 150 golf balls. You cannot even get a decent meal with that amount of money in the States! But that bought us a great one-hour of sheer fun and stress relieve. Not to mention torn skin (cause we did not get any gloves!) and body-aches.

Read this in one of the cubicles in Intel Oregon (believe it was Dave P.'s cubicle):

"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Roger Hornsby, 1896-1963, arguably the finest right-handed hitter in baseball's history

Perhaps he's never tried swinging at the driving range, huh? :)

Anyways, here are other interesting golf quotes...

"The golf swing is like sex. You can't be thinking about the mechanics of the act while you are performing." - Dave Hill

"I played like s___." - Greg Norman after the Masters.

"The right way to play golf is to go up and hit the bloody thing." - George Duncan

"I know I'm getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators." - Gerald Ford

I kinda like the last one because I can identify with it.

There was this "uncle" in front of me (or next to me, whichever) at the D.R. and some of my balls actually went berzerk and diogonal across his path!!! Man, that was not one of the good ways of introducing one' self to another person, right? Anyway, by the time my second ball crossed to his side, he was kind of avoiding me or stepping slightly away from me. Then, he was getting quite annoyed by the time my 4th ball crossed his path and stopped playing totally and broke for a 100Plus while waiting for me to improve on my swings! Geezz... that was embarassing! But this "uncle" was something else, he was fantastic! He was my "golf-idol" that day at the D.R. when he consistently drove his balls 250m and beyond! I mean, WOW, man! The Swoosh and the Clink was fantanstic! Awesome... Three cheers for the "uncle"! Yaaammmm Seng! Yaaammm Seng! Yaaammmm Seng!

All-in-all, good game and don't mind doing it again - this time, with gloves...

boon out...

P/S: There is another quote which I am quite hesistent to put in, but thought hey, for the fun of it, what the heck, right? here we go...

"In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled “Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden”. . . and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language." - anonymous