Wednesday, August 10, 2005

boon's log 3305.03 supplementary A: Top 10 songs that sculpted my view on music and stuffs

Here’s in reply to Justy’s request on blogging my “Top 10 songs that sculpted my view on music and stuffs”. Here's Justy's top 10. Doing a Back to the Future mental jog here…

Beatles – Help!
Yup, I guess there is a “Beatles” tune in almost everyone who grew up in that era when their dads or moms doned the John Lennon hairstyle… J Dad had a couple of the Beatles’ vinyl records (yup, they are still stored up in the store room somewhere. I guess once a Beatles’ fan, always a Beatles’ fan, huh? I cannot help but to shift my body a little and tap my feet and the temptation to stand up and dance whenever a Beatles’ song comes on.

Bananarama – Venus/Love in the 1st Degree/I Heard a Rumour
I got hooked to this because one girl that I kinda fancied at that time. She did a dance in the Club to I Heard A Rumour (if I remember correctly) for her school or something. We were in the same Karate class and also mandarin tuition class – yeah, you read it right, mandarin tuition class. Things didn’t really kick off back then because her whole family moved to Perth because her dad had a job there. Was kinda heartbroken back then… haha… it’s a laugh when you look back now…

Michael Jackson – Beat It
Not so much of his other Top Hits, but this one really sunk-in more than the others at that time (Thriller or Billie Jean). Back then, his face was still more presentable as compared to now. I guess that was a turning point for Jacko’s face. I still remember my mom kept on complaining that she keeps on losing one side of her gloves! Ha ha

Tears for fears – Everybody wants to rule the world
Back in high school, I was attached to this group of kids who kept a book of lyrics of the songs that we liked and listened to. I still remember that we used to pause-and-play the cassette tapes just to catch the words in the lyrics and write it down – remember those times when lyrics do not come together with the cassette tapes – which is quite frustrating at times cause you do not know what they are singing, especially when your English is poor. Liked it because the tune was a little different from others.

Herbie Hancock – Rockit
I believe Herbie was playing during one of the Grammy’s between the years of ’84 to ’86. Not sure which. Really liked it. Didn’t know much about Jazz or anything back then, but really enjoyed the tune and just let it rung in my head. I believe hearing it in some movie soundtrack, but not sure which one was it either. This is a good tune to hum to especially when you we playing hide and seek with your neighbors - back then-lah, of course (!!!). It adds the thrill to the game somewhat.

Bee Gees – You Win Again
I believe I heard this on a plane together with Debbie Gibson’s Out of the Blue and the tune just got stuck in my head for a very long time. I believe we were on our way to California with my mom and cousins at that time. This opened the door to many other Bee Gees song – including the fabulous and all-time-favorite Saturday Night Fever. I’ve seen the movie and listened to the song before but somehow it did not hit me that much until after I hear them singing You Win Again.

Debbie Gibson – Out of the Blue/Only in My Dreams/Staying Together
Debbie Gibson did play a major role in my teenage years. Don’t really know why, though. Perhaps she was young and vibrant and y’know, being a typical teenager at that time, you are easily influenced. I’ve even got Debbie G posters hanging on my wall and my closet doors. I stuck through Electric Youth but I guess I kinda lost interest after her Anything is Possible Album. This was when her music went downhill for me. This was also the same time when there were rumours flying around that she is posing for Playboy or something like that.

The Police – Every Breath you Take
This one is a keeper. Do I need to say why I liked this fantastic number? It is still popular until now. This song is way cool.

Starship – Sara/Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now
Nope, don’t have any girl in my life by the name of Sara. What a cool break-up song! Nope did not play this song for any break-ups at all….

“Go now, don't look back, we've drawn the line
Move on, it's no good to go back in time
I'll never find another girl like you, for happy endings it takes two
We're fire and ice, the dream won't come true”

Joey Scarbury – Believe it or Not (from Greatest American Hero)
This is funny. Somehow this just popped into my head looking for Number 10. Yeah, this one definitely has to be in here. I still remember waiting and looking to catch this series during the 8PM series during then. I kinda like the series because it is a little different from the Superman movies/series and also because you can watch more of this series than the Superman movies and the doofy guy gives me the laughs. Haha…

Hey, looks like we can start the next Top 10 List after this, Justy – Your All Time Favourite Top 10 Series…

boon out...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... the TV series blog is not a bad idea.

Gosh! Reading your entries brought back so many memories... especially those weekends hanging out at your place and listen to Debbie Gibson and (gulp!) Kenny G... "Dying Young OST". And heck! Your "Jurassic Park OST"!!!

"90s flashback..."

Wednesday 10 August 2005 at 19:33:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your taste in music sucks.

Wednesday 10 August 2005 at 21:35:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Justy, oooo... the memories! Ha ha... Jurassic Park?! Did we do that? Gosh!

Anonymous, to each his own. Would like to know what you listened to when you were younger.:)

Wednesday 10 August 2005 at 21:52:00 GMT-7  
Blogger J said...

Michael Jackson rocks! :D

Thursday 11 August 2005 at 00:40:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Jessy: Couldn't agree with you more. Though I have to admit that I prefer the old Michael more :)

Monday 15 August 2005 at 15:04:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup yup, the issue of fixation on little kiddie aside...

I think older MJ stuff is awesome! I still love "Don't stop 'till you get enough", so funky!!!

Friday 19 August 2005 at 18:59:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Bob, you tortured me by putting the first track Opening Theme on repeat mode... you said something like "can you imagine the T-Rex coming?" or something like that...

You were a disturbing teenager.

Friday 19 August 2005 at 19:01:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough? yeah, that is real funky. I was just watching Rush Hour 2 - remember Chris Tucker doing that in the Chinese Karaoke Club?

Tuesday 23 August 2005 at 10:28:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home