Tuesday, May 17, 2005

boon's log 2005.02 (supplementary A): IC Renewal by Race/Religion (???)

Heard a very interesting story from my colleague recently regarding the JPN (Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara) and how the officers in JPN work. After hearing to what she and her cousin encountered and the unfair treatment received during their visit at the JPN, I've helped her draft an email to The Star. Here is the excerpt...

To The Editor of the Star
I went to renew my IC and upgrade to the new MyKad 2 weeks ago at the JPN Branch at Sungai Ara, Penang. I took my number and waited like everyone else that was there to renew their IC.

After having my picture taken, I was disappointed when I was asked to return another day due to the computer system was down. I was appalled when the officer told me that the computer system was down for non-muslims. They can only process Muslim application on that day.

I went home and did a further check and discovered what the officer told me is quite impossible, as the computer is not limited to certain races. After discovering this fact, I am further disappointed when I think back on the response I received from the JPN Officer.

I have been told about issues where JPN officers claimed that the computer systems were down, but in actual fact, they weren’t – but never thought that I would experience it first hand. I think to myself, how can we progress with this sort of mentality still lingering around within the public services?


Interesting operating structure we have in our government offices... Our hypothesis on the reason for the respond given by the particular officer was that there has to be a pull-down menu somewhere in the "e-form" whereby the officer will need to select the "race" and "religion" every time for every applicant. Perhaps, in order to promote work-life-effectiveness and convenience, the selection is made once-and-for-all, for the "race" and "religion" for multiple applicants that follows - for faster service, perhaps(!!!), thus they can only process "muslim" applications that day...

With that hypothesis, assuming that we are correct, we then further forecast that, in the future, there may be specific days that are allocated for each race/religion. If you are Chinese and a Buddhist, please com on Thursdays; if you are Indian and a Christian, please come on Saturdays.

boon out...

1 Comments:

Blogger Mardiana Ishak said...

I’ve experienced a lot also dealing with the government offices. Example, bad experienced with the Land Office (Pejabat Daerah / Tanah). It’s glad to know that the government had launched this campaign called “Budi Bahasa Budaya Kita” BUT sadly I still believe a lot of people out there encounter much heartache where the government officers would treat us without courtesy. Reading your recent post was quite shocking and I think it’s good that you helped your friend to write a complaint on it. At least people would know what’s actually going on with the government services. :)

Tuesday 17 May 2005 at 02:31:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home