Tuesday, October 04, 2005

boon's log 4105.02 supplementary A: Crispy Roast Pork

I've finally succeeded in making my very first Chinese Crispy Roast Pork (or known as Siu Yook in Cantonese or Siu Bak in Hokkien), after failing the first two times. Well, the first two times did not work out because of the recipe. Hold on, before you roll your eyes or whatever, hear me out. There is this common confusion about the Chinese Roast Pork - according to some people, it is known as Char Siu, which is kind of misleading. All these while, I thought Char Siu is actually Barbecue Pork. Anyway, that basically knocked down my first two attempts.

Then, after much searching, I finally discovered the confusion between the two English terms for Char Siu and Siu Bak... and finally landed myself with a recipe for CRISPY Roast Pork. And I gave it a try last night and voila! It worked! Although the after-effect was quite a disaster, especially to the living room, carpet and sofa and well, practically the rest of the apartment as well because of the aroma coming from the roasting, but it was well worth it. I had to FeBreeze the entire place and it was much better after that... guess I'll have to FeBreeze it again tonight...

Anyway, here is my masterpiece...


Chinese Crispy Roast Pork

boon out...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh... that looks yummy!

Ok, old boy, happy birthday. Have a good one. I am absolutly repeating myself. I have snet an sms to ur local number (Duh!), and an email then realise it is easier to just comment here (double Duh!). So there!!

Wednesday 5 October 2005 at 00:21:00 GMT-7  
Blogger WH said...

You stink up your apartment? Did your neighbors come out and sneer at you?

I remember when I tried to cook last time. The smoke alarm went off and the neighbors actually gave us dirty looks becoz of the sweet smell of fried garlic permeating the whole apartment complex. :)

Wednesday 5 October 2005 at 03:01:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Justy: Thanks!

WH: Goodness! You mean charcoal-ed garlic? :)

Monday 10 October 2005 at 08:59:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the recipe? How did you do it?

Sunday 23 October 2005 at 14:06:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am having trouble looking for a siu yook (roast pork belly) recipe. Yours looks delicious. Do you mind to share your recipe?

Saturday 6 May 2006 at 04:30:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Anonymous: For the siu-yuk above, I used the recipe from the following URL. I am planning to try another recipe one of these weekends, will let you guys know how it goes later.

Click here...

Monday 8 May 2006 at 13:19:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home