Thursday, February 19, 2004

boon's log 0804.04
Hi-Tech Retards
This is the age of Hi-Tech Information Technology. Phewwit!

"Canggih*!" this, and "Canggih!" that. (*sophisticated in Malay)

Then again, is it a good thing? I find that it has caused some level of retardation to the users.

E-mails! Man, let's talk about emails...

People rely so much on e-mails as their main communication vehicle these days - so much so that there is this guy who sits just 3 cubicles down the aisle from me who likes to send me e-mails for menial stuffs like, to remind me that there is a meeting going on, etc.. For crying out loud, just 3 cubicles away!?

Lazy to walk? Nevermind, but what about the telephone? Sometimes I just do not understand. I mean, by sending e-mails (instead of meeting up with people or calling them on the phone) may sometimes cause more confusion and cause misunderstanding and uncalled for chain mails and a total waste of time. And it is a rapport-killer. Here are a few examples...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The "high-tech passing the buck/not-me" game.

e-mail#24 "... I think it was Dumbo who did it!"
.
.
.
email#106 "... No-lah, I think it was Ninnyhammer-lah..."
.
.
.
email#1452 "... I think Jacko de Wacko...."
.
.
.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Not forgetting the "I-sent-you-an-e-mail-5-years-ago.-Did-you-not-see-it?" trick. These people send you an email and expect you to go through that mail amongst the tonnes of emails that you receive a day and expects you to understand them and to respond to all of them. If you miss one, that's it, it's the electric chair for you.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Then there is the Boggle* Email. (*table-top game where you try to make words out of jumbled letters)

"Hat is escatly kain ansp oit?"

It is actually,

"What is exactly Kian Ann's point?"
[The persons and events in this log are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons or events is unintentional]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Worse are those blokes who have no sense of e-mail coutesy and use CAPITAL LETTERS to convey messages - who do not know that it also means "DANG IT! I AM SHOUTING AT YOU, YOU DINGBAT!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

See what I mean? Can you identify with any of these? I have been having too many unnecessary discussions trying to resolved e-mail misunderstandings as far as I can remember. Friends become enemies. Colleagues become adversaries. It is always good to meet face-to-face with the people you are working with. Furthermore, you need that walk to the other cubicle to burn off that nasi lemak you had in the morning. Not saying e-mail is all bad, but I think in many cases, if it can be avoided... avoid it.

Alright, brag-ed enough...

boon out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home