Friday, February 06, 2004

boon's log 0604.05 supplementary A
Indian Wedding
Attended my second Indian Wedding, of a colleague of mine at work. My first one was when I was around 12 or 13, when my dad brought me to one his Indian friend's wedding. All I can remember from that experience was the awesome banana leaf rice. Superb. It is almost like the taste of the curry is still fresh in my mouth (yeah, right! just a figure of speech, okay?).

Anyway, after a few decades, here I am in my second one and I told my friend, "I need to attend more Indian Weddings." :)

I kinda summarized the the wedding in the following few pictures...


Images of an Indian Wedding.

I must say that the whole ceremony is deeply enriched with tradition and culture. It was indeed colourful both in the literal sense and the traditional sense. We just sat there for like 2 hours just watching the entire event. My friend also made use of his time to catch up with old friends and acquaintances from college and school...

I just pity the poor groom who had to endure the heat and stuffy-ness while carrying out the rituals. My colleague told me that the night before he reminded his mom to make sure that they set up a fan next to where the rituals took place. But yet, perspiration did not fail to flow.

Through the whole ceremony, it was accompanied with a two-man band - who were playing the tabla drums and nadasvaram trumpets (hope I got the names correct).

Contrary to my first Indian Wedding experience, I did not manage to taste the food this time as I was rushing for time for another appointment. We ended lining up, when all the require rituals were completed, to congratulate the Bride and Groom and also, as in all Malaysian tradition during weddings - a small gift from our hearts (monetary).

Again I say - I need to attend more Indian Weddings... Looking forward to my next one. :)