Saturday, August 22, 2009

boon's log 3409.06: Where do the cows go now?

I have to admit that I am one of those who have never come across the "heritage site/village" called Kampung Buah Pala. At least, not until the recent events that boost the once unknown small village of 24-over houses/families into front-page stardom. I've asked around, among my local Penang friends - some told me that it is probably in the mainland, but most of them told me they do not know where's Kg Buah Pala. I would not blame them, really.

Let me try to help. If you live in Penang and frequently drive along Jalan Yeap Chor Ee, you are bound to bump into some animal-crossing at the other side of the hills, when heading northbound - well, those cows, I believe are from Kg Buah Pala.

No, I did not follow the cows home to see where Kg Buah Pala is. I finally got an answer from IL's uncle and with a little help from Google Earth, I found Kg Buah Pala.

As you head towards Greenlane along Yeap Chor Ee, you will see a school on your right, after which there is a small road on your right called Jalan Kaki Bukit. Take that right turn and drive slowly. If you hit the T junction, you've already past Kg Buah Pala. With all the "publicity", it is hard to miss it, now.

While I was there, I guess I can understand the feeling of the dwellers of Kg Buah Pala. I am sure they do not know how or what happened that has caused them their houses and village, the place that they called home and have happily dwelled for so many years. I guess it is a case of poor judgement and communication of how the land was sold off to make way for new development (by the previous administration) without the consent or knowledge of the people dwelling there and also perhaps bad passdown between the old and the new government during the change of state powers, more than a year ago. I mean I sincerely believe that the dwellers are innocent mangsa kejadian. And, as always, with a little help from some instigators (whom I am not totally surprised to be politically linked with the opposition party of the Penang government), they have blown the entire situation totally out of proportion. I truly believe the Lim administration is trying their very best to help with the negotiations. And that the villagers should approach the discussions with an opened mind and come up with a win-win situation.

After being there, I understand that it is not just a simple case of moving your home with a few suitcases and a few truck-load of belongings - it is more than that, e.g. 20-over to 30 cows, bullock carts, the kandang lembu (cow-pen) etc. They will need to figure out where to keep them and start a new - which definitely cannot fit into the new double-storey houses offered to them. The Kg Buah Pala-ians can move into the new houses, but the cows ...?

Well, one thing's for sure - I am going to miss the National Park-like feeling when driving along Yeap Chor Ee with all the cows crossing. It kinda reminds me of the time when we were just driving alongside a herd of bisons at YellowStone NP.

8 more days and counting. It is definitely going to be another heated showdown at Kampung Buah Pala on the 1st of September when the cows will come home for one last time...

here are some pictures


The bullock cart that was used during one of the street protests a few week back


Cow-pen, Kg Buah Pala.


Similar banners displaying the villager's feelings with the current state government. It is interesting, though, how the "race" card was thrown on to the table based on the few people (in this case, Indians) that is actually impacted by this...


An overnight bamboo monument - reminds me of my scout days. Wonder if this monument was set up by a group of scouts from the nearby school...


Lorong Buah Pala.


Cows Crossing


"You looking at moo-a?"


Time to head off for some grass grazing...

boon out...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Josette said...

Thanks for the pictures or I wouldn't know how's the situation at the kampung now. They are in a tricky spot right now...

Saturday 22 August 2009 at 22:49:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with Josette. At this stage, I guess the only best solution is to really relocate - it is a tough call, but looks like the odds are against them, the villagers.

I was driving along Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah last night, at 11:30PM (near RECSAM) and guess what i saw? Cows grazing by the road side. What would stop them from charging into the roads and cause accidents? We should find a safe place so that they can continue their normal daily routines...

Sunday 23 August 2009 at 20:38:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Josette: yeah it is tricky and messed up. 6 days and counting...

Anon.: What can I say? Welcome to the Kampung Buah Pala National Park.

Monday 24 August 2009 at 17:39:00 GMT-7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, to those who didn't know, Kg Buah Pala produces many thieves and creating nuisance to the surrounding areas. They are snatch thieves who had killed many innocent old ladies by dragging them behind motorcycles. Other crimes include breaking into nearby houses. You can go to the nearby police station or rukun tetangga to check if you do not believe me. Many accidents had also occured as a result of their irresponsibility in releasing the cows unattended.

So, look at the bigger angle.

Also look at their greediness. They wanted a bigger bungalow. They have engaged Bkt Gelugor's UMNO man in asking from Nusmetro. The motive has been clear. They are a bunch of unfit liars who are irrationale. After LGE helped them, now they turn against him and walking with UMNO. Nusmetro is related to UMNO, come on man. Where is Samy Vellu now? I thought he said he will fight to his last breathe? Now Samy also pushed the responsibilities to UMNO according to the Star. Where is Hindraf? They are only good an "tai chi" and creating troubles. I thought "tai chi" originated from China. How come nowadays Indians also know how to use it?

Friday 28 August 2009 at 08:52:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Boon said...

Anon.#2: I can identify together with you on releasing the cows unattended - it is really dangerous and irresponsible.

1 day more to go. I'm sure the tension is building up in Kg Buah Pala - just hope that it will not turn out to be something ugly...

Saturday 29 August 2009 at 20:00:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home